Companion Benefit Alternatives

Renal Case Management

Help and support for end-stage renal disease


Kidney failure is a difficult disease that affects hundreds of thousands of Americans. BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina offers a program that can help coordinate care and offer support.

What is end-stage renal disease?

Chronic kidney disease eventually leads to kidney failure, also known as end-stage renal disease (ESRD). Chronic kidney disease may be managed for 10 or even 20 years, but gradually, the kidneys stop working and become unable to do their job — to remove waste and excess water from your body.

According to the National Institutes of Health, 70 percent of Americans who have kidney failure are on dialysis treatment, which removes waste from the blood. The remaining 30 percent require a kidney transplant.

How this program can help

Coping with kidney failure can be complicated. Changes will be needed in your lifestyle, medications and diet. That’s why you might consider the Renal Case Management program for extra help and support.

The goal of all Companion Care Solutions programs is to help you have the best quality of life possible. The program will link you with a personal case manager — a health care advocate who can help you navigate the system to get your needs met.

 

Your case manager can:

  • Help coordinate care among all your providers. These might include a primary care physician, nephrologist and dialysis center.
  • Provide support and education.
  • Make sure you get counseling about issues such as nutrition, which can improve your quality of life.
  • Assist you in managing the costs of your condition by helping you avoid hospitalization, when possible.

Program eligibility

You may be eligible to join the Renal Case Management program if:
  • You are at least 18 years old with a diagnosis of ESRD.
  • Your primary health plan includes Companion Care Solutions Services.
  • You are receiving treatment for your kidney failure.
For more information about the Renal Case Management program, call 800-790-5770.